Thursday, March 17, 2022

Cutting the Stalk

Growing up I LOVED vegetables.  I was weird like that.  Brussels sprouts and asparagus were a few of my favorites.  I remember learning to trim asparagus from my mom.  I remember going to the patch of asparagus with a plastic grocery bag and paring knife, always being sure to cut at an angle under the dirt. When it was time to cook, I can still visualize the paring knife blade under her thumb as she taught me to 'feel when the stalk wants to cut easily'  Thats how you get the best asparagus texture.

We've reached that point with Mack.  He's applied to DMACC and was accepted this week. He and I looked at apartments and checked out the Business College.  

He's more than ready.  

In the words of a blogger I follow, "he's soiled the nest" and is ready for the next stage life has in store for him. 

I'm so, so happy and excited for him as I know he has the skills he needs to make his own life moving forward.


Tonight I taught Molly how to trim asparagus like my mom taught me. 

I couldn't help but recognize how quickly all my babes will be moving on... when they are ready and the stock cuts easily.






No comments:

Post a Comment