Friday, November 23, 2018

Christmas Ornaments

Today we I, put up the tree.  The main focus always comes back to this skating rink. 
Ironic, if you ask me. 


Somehow I just KNOW she's smiling down on us.


So many of my Chrismas memories come back to G'funk.  So when my last surviving ornament of hers dropped off the tree, bumped into the clay art project and ricocheted off the craft stick phone frame ornament, I couldn't help but feel bummed.


These ornaments remind me of the days she'd sit in the chair handing us ornaments that were 'hooked' and ready to hang.  
Afterward, we'd throw (literally throw) tinsel on the tree with the blue lights while Grandma and Grandpa handed up more, set up the village, plaeyed a bit, then hoped she'd take us to Hardees for Frisco Burgers.  There were some special ornaments... ones from her mom (Grandma Cake) that were fragile and old.  She always put them at the top.  The topper was unique.  I can't even describe it.  But if I ever saw it again I pay full price to own it.  
Because of these memories, I'm able to move past the actual "things," tell the kids it's okay,  and appreciate the real memories.  


It's awfully hard to forget someone who gave us so much to remember.
By the way... the chocolate ornament tree is returning this year...


No comments:

Post a Comment