Saturday, November 24, 2018

Coon Dog Dreams

About 3 years ago, it started with this...


Ross watched this movie on Amazon and decided he wanted to be this boy, minus the bibs.  He's begged for a redbone coon pup to train and own ever since.  Last week he came to me with a photo of a coon dog pup he found online located in Iowa.  He explained he'd buy the dog and care for it himself, including food and vet bills.  His only Christmas wish was for us to grant him permission to buy it.  He was 5 months old and at a rescue shelter in Guthrie County.  

Well, you all know me when it comes to adoption...

Saturday morning Ross and I made the 2-1/2 hour drive north to meet the puppies at Stylin' Pooch Dog Rescue.  Ross couldn't sleep Friday night and was too nervous to eat Saturday morning.  He was so worried someone else would claim the pooch before we got there.  I told him these were the times you have to rely on faith.  This particular dog had a brother... and a sister- so there were options either way.  

We arrived 30 minutes early, and holy smokes was this place was RURAL.  There wasn't a gas station within 20 miles and needless to say I'd drank a thermos of coffee on the way.  Ross advised me to pee in the ditch and wipe with a tampon.  Smart kid.  So after he peed against the tire, he volunteered to keep a lookout as I drained my bladder in the ditch and wiped with cotton from a tampon.  I swear I'll forget many important moments of raising my children, but this is one I'm confident will engrave itself into my long-term memory.  

After meeting and playing with the dogs, Ross whispered he was 'kinda into the brother' of the one he originally wanted.  I reminded him to trust himself and pick the one he felt the most connection with.


Leaving the other brother and sister in the pen hurt.  But Ross reminded me, we can't save them all.  
And once again, my 13 year old grounded me.


Ross helped bathe the dog before we left.  


And these two bonded the entire way home.  I couldn't keep my eyes off the rearview mirror. 










We stopped in Des Moines to get his name tag engraved, food and bedding. 


And he waited patiently.  


Ross chose his name. 


And took Gunny and Goose for a walk around the property.  Goose could care less about the new addition.  Meanwhile, this 5-month-old pup cannot be outside alone and we don't have a kennel set up.  
He is not house trained yet so therefore....

this is me.....

Merry Christmas Ross!

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever notices your dog falling asleep and suddenly he starts involuntarily barking.
    Scientists think that dogs dream the same way we do, actually replaying events in their minds that happened during the day or previously.

    Click here for know to full information dog dreams

    ReplyDelete