Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Why don't we get an Elf?


A week ago, Ross asked why Elf on the Shelf never showed up at our house.  He’s never shown an interest in the elf and therefore I figured we dodged that bullet and I’d save the expense of an elf to cover the rising cost of eggs and rotisserie chickens.  However, Ross has entered the age of Santa-suspicion and I knew I’d have to think fast. 

As much as I didn’t want to spend $30 on an Elf… you may recall I’m currently unemployed,  I also didn’t want my kids to feel left out (aka… know they could get away with murder knowing an untouchable elf was not reporting their behavior back to Santa). 

What’s a mom to do?  Luckily for me, I’ve been hoarding a surplus of creative energy by not having to arrange a mischievous elf around mini marshmallows and Legos each night and consequently, the solution arrived all too easily. 

Monday night, while preparing a dinner nobody would eat, we heard the bells.  I entered the living room and was the first to spy it.  Sure as day, a box of chocolates (which accidently had a $2 sticker stuck to it) as well as a personalized note from Santa had been placed in front of the fireplace. 

I’ll let the note explain…

Ross, Maisie and Molly,

I understand you are wondering why I did not send and Elf to your house to keep an eye on you this Christmas season.

I use my elves to watch the children I am not able to check on myself.  I have chosen to watch the three of you myself again this year.  The three of you make me very proud and I enjoy peeking in on you throughout the days.  You may hear my bells now and then.

Ross, you have been very responsible over the past couple of weeks and I enjoy seeing you like this.  I have a perfect gift in mind for you this year.

Maisie, please keep working on using your words and taking care of yourself.  You are a sweet girl and I love listening to you sing.

Molly, you make me laugh often.  Please be sure you are kind to Kratt and brush your teeth.

With love,
Santa Claus

I pray that one day, my kids have as much fun with their children as I do with mine.


Meanwhile, Maisie appears slightly less-enthused.

No comments:

Post a Comment