Friday, January 29, 2016

Helping Me Find It

Today ended another round of 'FCS Exploratory Kids'.  I welcome a new batch of 13-15 year olds every 5 weeks to 'explore' FCS.  I force them to cook the entire time.  Lets face it, how many people are getting careers in the textiles industry these days anyway?

Sometimes I forget how inexperienced these kids are.  Some of my most hysterical, underwear dribbling, on the verge of silent-laugh-mode, knee-slapping jokes go completely over their heads. 

These kids don't giggle when I introduce the 'Dutch-oven' as the high-schoolers do; yet the word 'balls' and anything that rhymes with 'piss' can make them chuckle and turn their ears red at the same time.  One of my 7th graders even started her very first period while we were studying leaveners last week.  She took a selfie on her phone with me after our final class today.  I'm confident I would be engraved into her memory forever regardless.

On our final day, I let the kids decide what they'd like to make.  This particular group chose Oreo Parfaits.  Or par-fats, as they called them.  They're sophisticated like that.

Each student received the same recipe and same ingredients.  Below is the tray of half-way-done parfaits.  (It was a 2-day lab).


I decided I had a choice.  I could critique their errors or embrace their uniqueness. 
Some followed the directions, some didn't.  Some interpreted the recipe differently.  Some added a little more pudding while others added more whipped topping. 

I realized the parfaits turned out as differently as my students are.
Some are sweeter, some are bland.  Some are creamy and some our crunchy.  Some are picture perfect and some have whipped topping smeared on the outside of the bowl a little.

My job at I-35 is to develop a love of learning among kids. 
Luckily for me I teach cooking. 
Luckily for my students I've experienced corporate life in the grocery industry and an appreciation of "tweaking recipes" to make them original.

Original is what this world strives for. 
So why are we as teachers so quick to critique it?
Answer:  Because we're not always working with pudding, whipped topping and Oreos.


This group insisted on holding hands and praying before eating after every lab.

Perhaps a prayer to prevent food borne illness or swallowing glass?
I never asked.

Small town schools.
Thank God they exist.

Every 5 weeks I have an opportunity to make an impact on 17 kids.

When I worked at Hy-Vee, I earned good money.
I enjoyed what I did.
I ate nice lunches.
My opinion was valued.
I enjoyed my friendships with co-workers.
but;
I missed working with kids 
I didn't feel I was making a difference
I missed working with the 'customer'.

Periods, IEPs, personal backgrounds, zits, black eyes, awkwardness and college plans. 
Those kids are my customers.


Molly and I watched the most beautiful sunrise this morning at 7:05 a.m. on the way to school today.
The song, "Help Me Find It' was on the radio.


Not to get all weird and Bible thumpery on you, but The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Help Me Find It (lyrics)

I don't know where to go from here
It all used to seem so clear
I'm finding I can't do this on my own
I don't know where to go from here
As long as I know that You are near
I'm done fighting
I'm finally letting go
I will trust in You
You've never failed before
I will trust in You
If there's a road I should walk
Help me find it
If I need to be still
Give me peace for the moment
Whatever Your will
Whatever Your will
Can you help me find it
Can you help me find it
I'm giving You fear and You give faith
I giving you doubt
You give me grace
For every step I've never been alone
Even when it hurts, You'll have Your way
Even in the valley I will say
With every breath
You've never let me go
I will wait for You
You've never failed before
I will wait for You
If there's a road I should walk
Help me find it
If I need to be still
Give me peace for the moment
Whatever Your will
Whatever Your will
Can you help me find it
Can you help me find it
I lift my empty hands (come fill me up again)
Have Your way my King (I give my all to You)
I lift my eyes again (Was blind but now I see)
'Cause You are all I need
If there's a road I should walk
Help me find it
If I need to be still
Give me peace for the moment
Whatever Your will
Whatever Your will
Can you help me find it
Can you help me find it

We'll see what the cat drags in with my next batch of 8th graders on Monday!



2 comments:

  1. Your students are probably praying that the smoke alarm will not go off or the sprinklers cycle themselves on !! Watching the sunrise through the windshield of a school bus can be quite awesome also !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't help but notice the open cabinet door in the background....genetics

    ReplyDelete