Wednesday, March 2, 2016

South of I-80

Somehow or another, life led me here. 


South of I-80.


Ross recently made a comment hinting to the fact that his mom is a 'redneck'.


I'm kinda-sorta-guessing I was supposed to wind up here. 


No offence to the other South of I-80'ers, but things are just a bit different here than they were growing up in Long Grove, Iowa.


For starters, these people eat cinnamon rolls dipped in their chili.  What?  No cornbread?  I can't judge because I've never tasted the combo, yet my inner voice screams 'eewww' and what a waste of a good cinnamon roll.

They call porta-potties 'kaibos' and many refer to 'wash' as 'whersh'.   Concrete is referred to as 'see-ment' and lawn-mowers are considered tractors.  I don't believe I'd heard the phrase 'Biscuits and Gravy' as many times in my life as I did my first week teaching at I-35.  It's basically a food group in these parts.

It's my job to teach these kids to survive on their own, so I realized teaching them to prepare Biscuits and Gravy was a no-brainer.

Thanks to a Perkins Grant, Mrs. Boyd got a brand new demo-mirror in her classroom!

On a side note, we actually have an FFA dress-up week at our High School.  One student actually drove his tractor to school on Tuesday.  It was 18 degrees outside Tuesday morning.


Also, one of my 8th graders had this book on her desk.  Seriously?  I remember reading this book in '88.  Must have been her moms' copy or the school library found a missing box of books up in the attic.

Thumbs up on the dry ingredients.  And I'd kill for this girls' hair.

Brown that sausage boys, brown it.

It's okay to go a little 'cross-eyed' when measuring liquids.


Small schools = Large portions in Foods Class. 

Meanwhile, I was teaching my Foods 2 class Eggs Benedict complete with perfectly poached eggs and hollandaise. 
They nailed it... as I knew they would.


South of I-80.
Good people.
Cowboy boots.
Big hearts.
A few rednecks.
Gravy.
Life led me here...


1 comment:

  1. Holy Crap !! Looks like Kaufman High Schrroool !!! Dress like a farmer day .....!!!! Really ...... That is everyday .....

    ReplyDelete