Monday, May 20, 2019

Sunday Frisco Burgers

Growing up Sundays in Long Grove seemed to include either Apple Pancake or Belgian waffles with whipped cream and canned cherry pie filling for breakfast. Breakfast was followed with coupon clipping, International Delight Capuchino and scanning Walgreens ads for ways to actually make money buying random medications and toothbrushes, before cleaning out the refrigerator leftovers and heating them up in the microwave when the boys came in from the woods for lunch followed by potentially going to Grandmas to sew so some sort of 4-H project.  

I never really liked sewing.  
The pin sticks, the salvage, the whip stitch, ironing the seams open, the empty bobbin and the seam ripper- I just didn't have the patience for these sort of things.  But there were a few years in there, I knew Grandma would take me to the Eldridge Hardee's for the new Frisco burger at lunchtime when we were sewing.  
In the early 90's Hardee's made sewing with Grandma worth it.  
Grandma explained to me numerous times, 'You can't work on an empty stomach.'
These were my bottomless-pit sixth grade years; and she clearly knew it.

But by 1996, I thought I'd sewn my last pair of curtains.  My last jumper and vest.  My last fashion review outfit.  

Guess what I did last Sunday... and the Sunday before that?


Yep, here I am on a Sunday morning in May 2019.  
Not a lick of make-up, fluffy-weird and unwashed morning hair- a look of determination to complete something asap on my face, and not a Hardee's Frisco burger in sight. 

Turns out, I bought a motorhome and want to make it mine.
Curtains it is.  
Furniture covers it is.  
Pillows it is.  
You name it- I got it covered. 
I didn't know it at the time, but I wasn't just learning to wait patiently for Grandma to suggest Hardee's for lunch.
I was learning basic sewing skills she knew I'd need 30 years down the road.

The only thing that separates this photo of me last weekend, from me in 1991 is the short hair on my head, the scatter of sun spots on my cheek, the addition of creases around my eyes, the wedding band on my hand the the adorable face of my girl watching from the sideline.


She just knew I'd need her long before I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment