Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Sisterly Love


I’m not sure what it is about having lunch with the kids at school, but for some reason I turn into a basket case at some point during the 30 minute period.

Yesterday it began as Molly and I joined Maisie for lunch.  The moment Molly and Maisie’s eyes met, they magically began speaking their own language. Maisie extended her hand at the same time Molly reached for it.  My heart swelled with pride knowing this lunch date wasn’t about me having lunch with Maisie.  This lunch date was a chance for my girls to have lunch together in the Café.

My girls walked together while I lugged 3 lunch coolers, an open Capri Sun, a pretend baby bottle and a very life-like looking doll Molly brought, yet I got stuck carrying. I purposely carried the doll awkwardly to prevent rumors of having had a baby at bay.  It was then that I noticed Maisie occasionally bending down to gently rub her cheek against the top of Molly’s head.  Like a mama bear instinctively sniffing and comforting her cub, my oldest daughter was mothering her baby sister while they walked down the hall.  Something about the tenderness of the moment…the unspoken love language between sisters… my dang hormones didn’t stand a chance.
 
A blast from the past...

 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Sisterhood is powerful.
    A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost. ~Marion C. Garretty

    ReplyDelete