Monday, May 9, 2016

Mothers Day

Another Mothers Day has come and gone.  As the day came to a close, I wondered if anyone realizes how much work it is to be a mother on Mothers Day. 

For starters, you have to remember NOT to go through school folders after school on the Friday before Mothers Day.  If you do, you'll discover the Mother's Day construction paper card your child spend the last two days working on at school.  In that case, distraction is key, while you quietly slip EVERYTHING back into the take-home folders and play dumb. 

Secondly, Mothers Day seems to require those who are NOT mothers to act like WE mothers have become handicapped overnight and are in desperate need of beauty treatments.  Guess what folks, Monday morning comes around and we realize how much catching up we have to do because of our 'day off'.

So as my Mothers Day Gift to myself, I gave Mike the day to play with his new toy.  If you can't tell, he's smiling in this picture.  I think he smiles the entire time he rides his tractor.
And to smoke some meat on our new smoker with his handi-dandy new thermometer.


Meanwhile I craved a little time in the dirt. 
So I began landscaping the front yard. 
And yes... I bought marigolds.  I don't know what came over me.
Marigolds make me think of old ladies. 
Even the guy in the checkout line smelled my flower choice and told me they smelled like skunk.
If I were Molly I'd have punched him in the face.
However, I have deer and rabbits to deter. 
Therefore, I bought marigolds.

Pay no attention to the boy in the doorway stuck in a bucket.

This is what Mothers Day is all about.

It's not the gifts, the pampering, the obligations everyone feels towards mothers on this day... It's the silly, real, and mundane events in our life. 
Celebrated.
It was a good day.

Until next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment