Saturday, October 1, 2016

I Kinda Wana Punch Someone in the Face

On Wednesday Mack was scheduled to take his state-required English Assessment test.  We have been prepared for him to score a 1 or 0 on the test, which is the lowest possible score.

Wednesday Mack was sick.  Thursday his ELL instructor was gone and therefore, Friday was the day of testing as the test needed to be completed by the end of the week.

Friday at 3:30, the ELL instructor came into my classroom with Mack in tears.  The testing did NOT go well.  The writing and listening portion of the portion was fine, but when it came time for the speaking portion, frustration won.
This is the point I wanted to punch the person who makes this test mandatory for non-English speakers within 2 weeks of entering school in the face.

My heart broke in a way I've never felt.  The ELL teacher was even teary eyed as he told me what happened.  For the first time, I couldn't just make a phone call, I couldn't tell Mack what to say or do, I can't write a strongly-worded letter to someone.  I can't just FIX it. 

Meanwhile, Ross' Ipod chipped Friday afternoon after he dropped it on the way to the van after school.  Lets just say there was a moment I was forced to pull the Transit off the road for safety reasons.  Ross and a jar of spaghetti sauce (don't ask) were on the gravel edge of the road as school busses flew by.  Mack eventually got out and shoved Ross and the spaghetti sauce back into the Transit so we could finish our commute.  If there's such a thing as rock bottom, I think we may have touched on it.

At the same time, nobody EVER said raising kids was easy.  It's taking more patience, alcohol and love than I ever imagined it would.  But we're in this 100% and not to sound like Donald Trump, but we WILL win this.

Saturday afternoon Mack and Ross threw the football around, rode the dirt bike and started a fire.  Mack is comfortable at home, he sleeps well, eats well, is trying his hardest, misses China and has a heart God has prepared for him to overcome the challenges he is, and will continue to face.  So blessed I get to be the mom to witness him do it.





No comments:

Post a Comment