Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Survival Week

I can still remember being in 6th or 7th grade hosting a campout in the woods with my friends.  It was thrilling to know we had no choice but to survive in the wilderness that night.  Although I don't remember, I'm confident I peed my pants with laughter that night.  I was always 'that girl'.  I DO remember making my friends cross the barbwire fence as we trudged through the woods in the dark to find the 'hanging tree'.  One of my friends had early arthritis in her knee, so it was extra challenging for her.  It was my first and last dare/attempt to drink a raw egg, and figuring out how to cook a can of Chef Boyardee over a campfire.
On the brink of adolescence when your caught between a kid and teenager- those adventures are essential.
The next morning everyone wakes up exhausted, frozen, smoky, hungry and a little pissy.
Yet it's the price you pay for the experiences which will eventually help shape who you become.


Spring Break started out with Ross earning his Hunter Safety Certificate through the DNR.  As I drove him to the Madison Country Shooting Range for the final exam Saturday morning, I couldn't help but feel bad for the kid who had to take notes on Christmas stationery because we didn't have any notebook paper handy.




And once that certificate was in his hand, he was adamant about hosting a wilderness survival week over Spring Break with 5 of his buddies. 



The 6 of them ready to tackle the week.  It started a little 'Hunger Games-ish' to me.  
Who will make it, and who wont....


It took them quite a white to load supplies and one even fell off the Mule during the process, landing on the deer spine Goose delivered early that morning.


Ready or not, here they come!

Re-adjusting the load before making the turn.

By the time morning rolled around, we were down 1 kid after he called his dad to come get him. Between the cold night air and the coyote howls, he was done.  Another kid was being picked up to leave for Colorado later in the day.  He came up to the house with 2 other kids before his mom showed up and it didn't take them long to accept hot coffee and biscuits and gravy in the house while they waited.  We made a pack they wouldn't dare tell Ross...
So they were down to 4.  










Ross' best buddy just returned from their Spring Break Vacation today, and within an hour his dad dropped him off to join the party.
So were back up to 5.  
Some things just aren't worth missing out on...

No comments:

Post a Comment