Saturday, March 17, 2018

We ALL survived

For those on the edge of your seat, Ross survived his wilderness week with friends.  
They held strong until Friday morning when the sleet began to sting their fingertips, their dark, exhausted little eyes had sunk deep into their eye-sockets and the single postcard they found from the year 2000 featuring a nude topless woman had been burnt in the fire (to shrink her nipples, of course). Ross doesn't miss sharing a single detail with his mama.  Luckily for you blogs readers, I'll spare you other uncomfortable details of the week.

They pushed the limits, learned more about each other they ever expected to learn, explored an abandoned house (they walked 4 miles to reach- (little did they know mama was following them in her kidnapper van to bring them home safely).

Each night they were out, I cringed as I heard the house furnace kick on.  Each time I pulled the blanket closer to my face I couldn't help but wonder how cold those little boys were.  On Friday morning, after listening to the rain/sleet hit the kitchen window as I made coffee, I walked down with 2 lbs of hot bacon, 2 sleeves of saltines and Hefty Garbage sacks to help them clean up trash.  Yet, by the time Goose and I made it to the campsite, they were driving up in the Mule. The Mule was fully packed-up and the camp fire slowing burning down.  The good news?  Their site was spotless.  The bad news?  It was only 10:00 and wouldn't be picked up by parents until 4. 
They smelled like a combination of testosterone, burnt saucepans, cumin, and smoke.



We ALL survived the experience and were excited to bring on St. Patricks Day.  Maisie has a heart of gold and has been watching Cake Decorating Contests on YouTube.  Guess who wanted to make a St. Patricks Day Cake Friday?

Since I didn't have a box of Duncan Hines laying around, we were forced to make one by scratch. 

Throughout the process, we ran out of shortening and powdered sugar, which made this a 2 DAY activity instead of 1.  Apparently luck wasn't on my side this St. Patricks Day.  So guess what we did St Patricks day morning- after getting the corned beef in the slow cooker, of course.

We headed into Fareway for shortening and powdered sugar to make a rainbow of frosting colors.  The cake was baked, the corned beef was cooking, the house was cleaned, I was feeling pissy and exhausted when Maisie looked at me when her sweet, sweet eyes and said, "Lets celebrate St. Patricks Day with a scavenger hunt!
I was about ready to tell St. Patrick what I really thought of him when I decided a glass of wine and a little scavenger hunt could be fun...
So therefore we proceeded.  After the scavenger hunt video we actually made ANOTHER video featuring squishies verses real food.  

For real.

And after this entire week of survival,  I have to keep in mind just how much luck is truly on my side. And for that, my heart goes out to Mr. St. Pat.

Cheers! 


No comments:

Post a Comment