Monday, June 7, 2021

Goat Shows and Roses

As we arrived at the Winterset pool for our first visit in almost 2 years, we were greeted by EMS and watched as a frantic mom carried her little boy into the life guard station as we filled out membership forms.  The little boy was having a seizure and all the new summer hires were scratching their heads wondering what they were supposed to do.  The poor kid taking our information just commented, "They didn't really teach us what to do for seizures."

Well that got Molly reminiscing.  No, she has never had a seizure, however on the way home she reminded me her Seizure Faking stage.  

I have zero memory of this stage, which makes me sad for more than one reason.  Like, at what point does one "stop" a fake seizure?  Did I even respond?  What sort of past trauma would cause this form of desperate attention seeking?  How does she even know what a seizure looks like?  Do other kids do this? Clearly, I have lots of questions.  

She explained it was all in an attempt to get a seizure dog.  

Again, more questions than answers.

Molly has always loved animals- especially the farm ones.  She told me this morning she either want's to be a farmer or a mechanic when she grows up.  

Clearly Mike and I were ahead of our time in terms of not stereotyping gender roles in her early years. 

She's been registered for the Iowa Myotonic Goat Show for months.  We registered our goats with the official myotonic goat registry and Molly's Fainting Farms was even a sponsor of the show.  

The night before the show brought on tears, anger and anxiety.  For those of you who remember Mollys first years of school and having people "look at her" you will appreciate how far she has come.

I told her it would be like a track meet.  As soon as she stepped into the ring, the nerves and anxiety would disappear.  


Her first steps into the ring...












And apparently adults spend their weekends traveling around to these kinds of things.  
Mind blown.




My little Goat Whisperer came home with ribbons and banners. 
Her heart was fuller than full and she couldn't stop talking about how proud of herself she was the ENTIRE way home.  

And that my friends, is the reason we raise goats.



I'll end this post with a fun photoshoot I did with the goats last night during golden hour.  
There's something about goats and roses I just can't get enough of.
















No comments:

Post a Comment