Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Cats, Anniversaries and Rectal Thermometers

9 years ago today I was trying to keep my French manicure from chipping, nervous tears from falling and my mascara from smearing. 
 
Who knew 9 years later I'd be wrestling an orange cat into a white Ford truck named Mater.  Who knew I'd be talking to my 3 kids in a sing-song-tone-voice to keep the cat calm along the ride because he was completely freaking out, shedding like crazy and making eerie howling sounds while pacing the top ledge of the trucks benchseat- just behind my head.  My baby would be crying because she was terrified of his claws and all I could say was, "It's okay, were almost there.  He's just scared", more for my own reassurance than hers.
 
Kratt was due for 2 vaccinations.  Ross told me he was going to close his eyes and plug his ears when they administered the injections.  When the Dr. arrived she took his temperature... rectally.  Of course that spawned awkward conversations.  She took it twice because apparently 106.5 is way to high of a temp for cats... even cats under stress.  Vaccinations were not given today.  Turns out it's actually illegal to give a rabies shot to a cat with a fever. 
 
Who knew 9 years from Mike and my wedding day I'd be buying antibiotics for a cat?  Who knew I'd be carrying food and water to him instead of making him go downstairs... because he was sick?  Who knew I'd be administering 1 cc of pink amoxicillin to a cat... orally?


Yes, I realize normal people don't take cameras to the vet.  I've never clamed to be normal.

Maisie told me this was her first time to the vet.  She took the opportunity to do a little modeling/photo shoot.






I've come to learn life's full of twists and turns.  Full of unknowns, anticipation, craziness and frustration; yet most importantly, full of love for each other and the life we've created. 
 
Were just getting to the good stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment