Saturday, October 20, 2012

A conference


Sugar Plum


Ross decides to go ahead and taste the play doh
Caught Molly sucking her tongue- she smiles before she gets it tucked back in.

Someone said 'poop' or 'fart'... great smiles all around!

I was home with Molly on Tuesday and Wednesday- good ol’ strep came knocking on our door. Ever since, she’s attached herself to me like a tick. If she spies me with two available arms for more than a 30 second time span, she chases after me yelling “uppy, uppy.” I’ve actually found myself running away from her to hide. I feel so needed… and covered in a film of snot. In the meantime, my right bicep has become ginormous since Tuesday.


Friday was a no-school day and consisted of peeing in pants (not me, Molly), finding a bowl of beef and noodles in the bathroom trash can (could have been worse), Molly constantly undressing herself and announcing ‘no dapper’- in a French accent, discovering Ross and a friend accidently punched a hole through his bedroom closet door with a stick, making homemade play-Doh the color of lima beans, and taking 4 kids to Fareway and being ‘lucky’ enough to get the car cart.


Thursday was school conference day. I was late getting out of work so when I got to my van and realized I had only enough gas to drive 10 miles, I panicked. I raced to the De Soto Casey’s, put $10 of gas in my van (less than 3 gallons at these rates) and I was also down to the minimal amount of money in my checking account and had to ask Mike to deposit money in my account in order to buy cat food before I got home to a hungry Kratt. What have I become?


I whipped my mini-van into the school parking lot and parked illegally; oh, and it was raining. I ran inside the building like a psycho-mom and found Ross’ teacher waiting outside his classroom. She was like an angel in disguise as she greeted me and told me how Ross was some sort of dream student. As we went through the conference, my heart swelled with pride listening to her. And it wasn’t just because Ross is doing well in school, or that he is a kind, interested, focused and advancing student. It was when I realized his teacher genuinely thinks Ross is the bomb. It was when I realized we must not have messed him up too bad afterall with our parenting mistakes (he’ll always be our guinea pig). It was when I realized his teacher truly appreciates him and all he brings with him. She sees what I see. And the very moment she acknowledged how he is obviously talked to, taught and parented so well at home… well let’s just say I got that ball in my throat and had to bite the inside of my cheek and look away to keep my tears at bay. A teacher, whom I don’t know well, just told me she admires me and appreciates my kid. Let’s just say, I experienced Thursdays’ high right then and there.


Friday was tough. Sometimes I wonder what the point of conferences really is. Sure, it’s a way for a parent to see the progress their child has made in the classroom; but I’m beginning to wonder if it might be more for a parent to be acknowledged for their efforts. Sort of like a pep talk. Let’s just say the pep talk I got Thursday may have kept me from locking the kids in their rooms and beating them on Friday. I’m grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment