Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Crazy Hair Day

Good ol' Homecoming week is in full swing in Winterset.  For instance, yesterday Molly and I spent time gathering broken strands of toilet paper out of our elderly neighbors' yards and wondered why on earth teenagers get such a thrill out of the sport.  On the flip-side, the toilet paper was clean, dry and for a split second I actually considered taking it home.  I changed my mind and dumped it in someone's recycle bin instead.
 
Today is crazy hair/hat day.  I wasn't sure the kids would participate, however last night I pulled out some wigs and everyone was on board.  Ross wasn't sure about wearing his wig this morning and stuffed it in his pocket.  He explained that with the wig shoved in his pocket, it looked like he had a huge wiener with hair coming out the side.  He's always been so descriptive.  Maisie, on the other hand was uber-confident in her hot pink wig. 
 
I walked the kids to school (with the wigs on their heads) and half expected them to chicken out.  But they didn't.  I sometimes forget that at 8 and 5 they don't have self conscience issues yet.  In 5-8 years, they'll begin to worry what others think... they'll worry that they might stand out .... they'll worry that it's uncool to participate in  'crazy hair day'. 
 
 
Today they want nothing more than to have fun during homecoming week. 
Today they don't care what others think and enjoy standing out. 
Today they wore crazy hair. 
Today they are 8 and 5.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment