Sunday, June 21, 2015

Lemonade

Maisie's been itching to have a lemonade stand since the first day of summer break. We finally did it last week. 
 
Somehow I found myself making the lemonade, setting up the table, putting popsicles in the cooler and hauling out folding chairs while the kids colored the lemonade sign.  I'm pretty sure the mail lady watched me set-up the entire thing. 
She also happened to be the kids' first customer.
 
They started out gung-ho and the random lady who handed them a $20 had Ross wanting to take out a small business loan.  Maisie was the first to lose interest and built herself a bed between two folding chairs complete with blue blankie and a living room throw pillow.  Molly got hot and began to cry when Ross wouldn't let her have any lemonade without paying. 
 
The sun got hotter and hotter as the kids grew crankier and crankier.  Within 2 hours, the lemonade stand had ran its course. 
 
The kids came in sweaty, starving and thoroughly pissed off at each other.  Ross was quick to divide the earnings as I found myself hauling the lemonade, cooler, table, chairs, pillows and blankets back inside. 
 
The next day the mail lady waved at me.  I'm sure she knew I was the one who put on a lemonade stand.  I'm guessing she's done the same thing for her kids at one point.  Who hasn't?
  From now on, I'll always know that behind each kid selling lemonade in their yard, is a sweaty mom with powdered lemonade mix stuck to her arms and an empty ice maker.  God Bless Us.
 
 
Of course our sign is the lid to a Rubbermaid tub which is taped to a landscape decoration with mailing tape. 
It worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment