Monday, January 5, 2015

Money Saving Challenge

Due to the fact that almost every part of the house building process has come in over-budget, I've challenged myself to cut corners in other areas of our lives.  For me, that means the grocery budget.  I'm one of those strange people who has a passion for grocery shopping.  I know... strange but true.
 However, I'm up for the challenge.
 
Monday morning Ross hollered up from his bowl of Cocoa Roos, "Mom, we need more chocolate syrup".  Mike responded, "Need?"  He was right.  Chocolate syrup is a want, definitely not a need
 
Enter Pinterest. 
I made my first batch of chocolate syrup this morning.  I'll pour it into the empty chocolate syrup bottle and see what happens.  Fingers crossed.
 
1 bottle store bought chocolate syrup: $2.50
1 bottle homemade chocolate syrup containing cocoa powder, water, sugar, vanilla and a dash of salt: $0.89
 
 
Ross (I see a theme here) has been obsessed with Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pies.  Costco sells a case of these babies for around $1.50 per pie.  Ross eats a minimum of 1 pot pie a day.  Therefore, I decided to make my own.  
 
 
 
It's a ridiculously simple recipe I know your family would enjoy.  It goes like this:
lay 1 refrigerated pie crust in pie pan
pour in 1/2 bag frozen mixed vegetables
sprinkle on cooked shredded rotisserie chicken (about a 1/2 cup or so)
spread on 1/2 can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken- whatever you got)
repeat layers with the remaining veggies, chicken and condensed soup.
top with second pie crust in box. 
I know I should start making my own pie crust; but baby steps right?
 
I did a miniature one too... just to be more like Miss Callender. 
 
And yes, you will have to break apart the condensed soup with your fingers and spread out the best you can.  It's messy, but I know you can handle it.
 
 
Perhaps not as pretty, but the flavor is way better than Marie's.
 
Marie Calender mini-pot pie (serves 1): $1.50
Homemade chicken pot pie (serves 6): $5.00.
I win.
 
Stay tuned to see what tomorrows challenge brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment