Friday, January 9, 2015

Tea Parties, Smoke and Enchilada Sauce

Friday morning I was forced to call our landlord to unlock the kids' bedroom door.  It was locked from the inside.  As the landlord used his Pizza Ranch Card to unlock the door, I swallowed hard to get the motivation for my next question.  "Any chance we can stay in this rental till April or May?"  Everything has been delayed.  We haven't heard back from the HVAC guy, the lighting store doesn't have our bid ready, the electrician won't start until the weather gets into the 20's and the insulator wants a floor plan which is with our HVAC guy. 
So that's how the house is coming along.  Oh, he said 'yes'.
But my money saving challenge is a hit!  According to Mike, my homemade sub buns are to die for, my menu planner is working like a charm and Thursday I attempted my first batch of frozen enchiladas for Mike to take to work.  I made my own enchilada sauce (which wasn't that hard) and ended up with 4 cups of enchilada sauce and it cost me $1 for the batch.  One small can of enchilada sauce at the store = $1.69.  Just sayin'.
I mixed 1 cup sauce with 1 cup shredded cheese and a can of drained and rinsed black beans.  (Drained and rinsed is ultra important for gas control). I spread the mixture evenly over 6 tortillas (the $.06 ones from Costco of course), rolled 'em up and froze in a ziplock bag.  Easy peasy.
Of course I made a batch of Goose Bites while I was at it too.
Earlier this week, the kids and I smelled smoke in the rental house after school.  It was prominent in the kitchen and dining room.  There was a haze near the ceiling and I even grabbed the phone to call the fire department.  I just couldn't figure out where the smoke was coming from though.  I felt the walls and doors for heat (like in Backdraft), used my sniffer (which is strong), checked the attic, the basement, the outlets.  Nothing.  The only thing plugged in was the bread machine, but it only smelled like fresh bread.  Meanwhile, the kids were freaking out.  Molly and Maisie clung to their blankies, Ross on the other hand began packing his entire room into a body pillowcase.  It included a bow and arrow with arrows, guns, beads, rocks, Pokémon cards, stuffed animals, pocket watch... you get the idea.  As I thought about grabbing a few things before leaving the house, I surprised myself.  There was nothing I felt the need to grab.  Nothing.  Of course the kids and cat... but other than that, I was good to go. 
By this point 5-10 minutes had passed and the smoke started to dissipate.  I assumed it must have been something with the bread machine.  I didn't call the fire department and Ross had to unpack his body pillowcase.  From the entire ordeal I learned something about myself.  I'm not attached to my possessions.  And for that I am grateful.
For instance, what could be more important than playing tea party with this gal?
Pretty in pink she served me chicken with rice and applesauce.  Oh, and grape water.  (I call it wine, but whatever). 
  We had to take this photo numerous times.  She decided this was the prettiest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment