Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Feed Me, I'm Yours!

In the Spring of 2006, I was introduced to baby food.   I'll never forget that poor bag of frozen peas I tried to steam, pulverize and freeze in ice cube trays as "homemade baby food".  Pea skins don't soften and were so tough Ross couldn't help but gag with every attempt to swallow.  Poor thing.  

I also can't forget the desperate attempts Aunt Heather and I made to get Maisie to take a bottle before my maternity leave ended (Shot glasses were even utilized).  


With Molly came another desperate attempt to try my hand at steaming and pureeing more produce.  Good Lord. 


Mack is the only one I haven't bent over backwards and sideways to get nourished.  Apparently,  mom's have an internal craving to nourish their babies in some way or another.  And when they don't show up until they are nearly teenagers, that craving still exists.
Therefore, while the boys spent Monday afternoon in the woods doing guy things...


I tried my hand at a dumpling (aka Pot Sticker) recipe Mack told me he ate for Chinese New Year in China.
First step was to grate some ginger, chop some green onion and mince some garlic.

That combo gets mixed with ground pork, Asian sauces, white pepper and salt.

The mixture is place in won ton wrappers,

moistened on the edges and folded into a triangle to seal.
Then the corners are folded up and stuck together with another dap of water.


Did it work.  Yep.  He thought they were delish.  Were they what he expected.  Nope.  He told me the wonton wrappers weren't right.  They were supposed to be thicker and round shaped.  Therefore, my folds were all wrong and the filling was not a secure as it should have been.  He also told me he knows how (and can help me) to make them more accurate.
Wish he'd have told me 3 hours earlier.
The things we do to make our babies happy.


The girls and I then spent the remainder of the afternoon beautifying.  We did nail spa, make-up tutorial, hair cuts and finally Biore strips as we danced on the mantel before bed.
A final salute to Christmas Break.

On January 3rd, Molly came home from school with this lifelong goal in her backpack.  Any guesses?


No comments:

Post a Comment