Tuesday, January 28, 2014

100th Day

On Monday, Maisie came home uber-excited about the 100th day of school being celebrated Tuesday.  She explained how they would play games, bring 100 of something to school (she chose toothpicks), have extra snacks, make hats, sing songs and on, and on, and on.  Ross looked mopey as he worried his teacher didn't realize it was going to be the 100th day of school.  He told me how their 'day of school chart' was still in the 80's and somehow their class quit keeping track.  I knew his teacher wouldn't miss the 100th day of school celebration.  How could an elementary teacher not know it was the 100th day of school?  As he and I debated the possibility of a teacher overlooking the 100th day of school, I glanced over at my Molly.  That's when I realized it was a big day for her and I too.  It was the 100th day she and I have gotten spend together.  100 days of 'us'.  The days she and I have together are days I will treasure for the rest of my life.  I desperately wish there was a way to bottle this time so I could savor it down the road.  So with that thought, I decided she and would celebrate our own 100th day of 'just us'. 
We packed a sack lunch and visited Maisie in the cafeteria for lunch.  As we approached the hot lunch line, I became concerned someone had vomited as the smell was distinctly that of sour stomach.  I discreetly looked for a custodian sprinkling the blue vomit solidifier somewhere, and was caught off guard when I realized the smell was actually the chicken Alfredo pizza which was being served. 
After lunch, we stopped in Ross' room to make sure his teacher hadn't forgotten it was the 100th day of school say hello.  He was having fun with his friends, chomping on a candy bar and laughing.  Whew.
Molly and I returned home, created a collage out of a Women's Fitness Magazine, made a 100-day crown before she took a bath with her Barbies.  Lucky for us, the day is still young.  We snagged an uneaten rectangle of Chicken Alfredo pizza off Maisie's lunch tray and I'm reheating it for after school snacks.  I'm planning to see how long it takes Ross to ask 'who puked'.
Happy 100th Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment