Thursday, January 23, 2014

Growth Chart

It all started with Pinterest.  Doesn't is always?
 
I kept thinking about that spot behind the kitchen door where I mark my kids' heights.  I couldn't find the heart to paint over the growth marks last spring when we were getting the house ready to sell.  To me, those marks tell stories. 
When Maisie passed Ross' very first mark... Ross' 7th birthday height... the day Molly realized she hadn't been measured on the wall yet and Ross helped her stand just right against the wall.  Of all the things I seem to fret over, one of those was someday having to leave those marks behind when and if we ever move.
 
Enter Pinterest.
 
I saw the idea quite some time ago.  Last fall, I took the first step and asked a reputable woodsmith for a tall board.  Well, this woodsmith has a mind very similar to mine, therefore a standard straight board would not suffice.  He handed me a board overflowing with character, unique to any other and as icing on the cake, he harvested it from the woods in which he lives.  Therefore, this board was priceless before I'd even touched it.
 
I have not found the perfect place for it yet, however it will not be hidden behind a door. 
 
 
It will lean against a wall where I can admire it, and appreciate where it originated.
 
 
And it will forever mark the growth of my children.
 

1 comment: